Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Sometimes Cancer Really Stinks!!

Today I got the results of my biopsy Friday, and yes, there is more cancer. Dr Moline said that there isn't any way to do the lumpectomy so I'm getting scheduled for a mastectomy. The scheduler called and said that they will plan to do it on October 20th. Well, I didn't like that a whole lot since that's my Birthday. She was going to try to squeeze me into the 18th, but I don't want to be waiting all day for my turn for surgery. So...she's going to talk to Dr Moline and see if we can wait for the 25th as that's Dr Moline's next available day. Also, since they haven't done any biopsies on the right they are going to hold off doing anything on that side until after the PEM test on Friday. Dr Moline said that it looks like I'm going to have to have radiation and chemo after surgery so they won't do reconstruction until later.

I get to meet with the oncologist and radiologist next week sometime to see what my treatments will be and when I get to start. Right now we are praying for good results of the PEM so that we can feel good about one more test that says that my lymph nodes are good.

Even with the results of another cancerous tumor the good news is that it is about 5x7x12 mm. It's not very big so if my lymph system is clear like they think then I still have stage 1 cancer. Today was harder than I thought it would be, but I am so grateful that it was caught so early. I told Dr Moline that my breasts have served their purpose by blessing me to nurse my 5 beautiful babies and that I haven't needed them for a while. I'm so grateful for the timing of this! I'm so grateful that my kids are big and a great help to me! I'm also grateful that today the sun is shining in my house as I work feverishly to get the things done that I need to before my surgery! I'm so grateful to live here in Spokane and have Dr Moline. She has been a huge blessing to me in this! Thank you all for your love and support to me and my family. Like I've heard said before, "There will be one less boob in the family soon!" :) (Thanks to Grandma Ginnie and her example of handling breast cancer gracefully! I know she's smiling down on us right now, and Grandma Bonnie too!)

I guess the last good thing is that I get a tummy tuck when they do my reconstructive surgery kind of as a bonus. They will use the fat in my belly and just move it up. Then, they will take away my c-section scar and make my tummy flat and beautiful. I've always dreamed of doing these surgeries. Before they were a dream. Now, it's planning when they will become a reality. :)

5 comments:

  1. Becca, you have such a good attitude! I am positive that I would not have your attitude if I was in your place. You're awesome! We'll keep praying for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you have the gene testing done yesterday? Is that what the PEM or PME testing is that you referred to in this post?? I don't know how you're keeping track of all the details. You've got a lot on your mind! You're in my thoughts and prayers, Rebecca!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still praying for you! I like reading your updates and am pulling for you. You WILL make it through this! Thank you for keeping us all updated and your attitude is inspirational! Loves :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That tummy tuck sounds like a pretty sweet deal! (Hey, if you have cancer, you deserve to have a rockin body when you're done!) Hoping and praying that those lymph nodes are clean and clear!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you, Becca, and pray for you each time I think of you (which is about 50 times per day)!

    ReplyDelete