Thursday, September 30, 2010

Just waiting...

I'm learning right now to play the waiting game. I have spent so much time getting the tests done that I need to. I'm hoping that with the ones I have scheduled that next week will be a quiet one as Scott will be gone. I got the results of my MRI and they weren't really what we wanted. They saw 3 other masses in the left side, and one in the right. I went right in for another ultrasound. The sonographer couldn't find any of the 4 they were looking for so she went to get the radiologist. He couldn't find them either. That was good news and bad news. The good news being that it may mean they are regular tissue just reacting to the MRI that way, the bad news is that they may only be able to find them again to biopsy them with an MRI guided biopsy.

Yesterday Dr Moline's office called to say that they were going to go ahead and biopsy the one largest mass that they could see with an ultrasound guided biopsy. Oh, and I forgot the other good news/bad news about the new masses. Good news is that they are all small. They are 3, 5, and 7mm. The bad news is that it means that I may have a double mastectomy if there's a lot of cancer spread all over. I guess the good news with that is Dr Moline said they would do the mastectomy and the reconstruction surgery all at the same time so I wouldn't have to do two separate surgeries.

So...tomorrow is another biopsy, but this one is supposed to be easier than the last because this is a needle biopsy so it's less invasive than the last one. Also, I made sure to schedule this one when Scott is here to help me. Next Friday is the PIM test that is another dye test that mostly looks at my lymph nodes. When I had my ultrasound on Tuesday they took lots of pictures of my lymph nodes then and they said they look very normal so that's a good thing! Also, next week I should be able to do the blood draw for the BRCA gene test. That will help and be a large piece of the puzzle as well.

When I was doing some of the tests this week I found out that our deductible isn't what we thought. Since we are on a family plan we have to meet our entire family deductible which is $5500! I was so shocked! We thought it was $2700/person with a maximum of $5500. Well, turns out we were wrong. I'm grateful we have the money in the bank, but was so disappointed to have to spend it on something so dumb as cancer treatments. I wish we could use it for a vacation to Hawaii! Then I heard about a contest that is for early detection of breast cancer. I went online to find out about it. They grand prize is $5000! You have to make a 60 second commercial of how early detection saved your life or the life of a loved one. Then you submit it and have people vote on it. When I went to the site to see how many there were to vote on there was only 1 and it's so stupid!! So we are going to make a video and try to win. I'll post the link when it's done so that everyone can go on and vote because I want to win! Then maybe we can save that money for a Hawaiian vacation when I'm well! :)

So right now as we wait for all the tests to come together we keep praying. I KNOW I'm going to be ok! I KNOW that I will (and already have) learn so much and be a better person and more understanding of others when they go through trials in their lives. One thing I know is that we all have trials, and I'm so glad I have the ones I have and not others! Thank you for your love and prayers! Scott was so sweet last night when we were praying. He was so grateful for the prayers and faith by so many in our behalf. We feel very blessed!

3 comments:

  1. Becca - my prayers are with you.

    If you do enter this contest, let me know and I will ask my blog readers to vote for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This contest thing sounds pretty cool. The rest of it sounds exhausting! Good luck with biopsy! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read your blog to Sarah and Karson. We love you!!!!!!!!!!!!! HUGS and HUGS!

    We decided that if you do the video, if we have everyone in our family vote (even the kids with emails) you should win, hands down!

    We will keep checking in!

    ReplyDelete