Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Radiation Begins!

Today I found out what doing radiation feels like--absolutely nothing! It's pretty amazing that you can have that done to you and you don't feel a thing...for a little while. I've done really well today, but I have gone through spells of being really tired. It's been interesting because it comes and goes. I did find that after I ate I had more energy. I was really tired when I was hungry. This might be just what I have been needing! I went to the plastic surgeon today. He thinks I'm a great candidate for taking my tummy fat to use for reconstruction--I just need a little more fat. :) As I was complaining that I didn't want to gain weight he just laughed and said that it's every woman's dream to have her dr tell her that she needs to gain weight. I know...seems like a silly problem. The thing is that I finally after 6 years just got back to my pre-pregnancy weight and now I'm being told to gain it back, ugh! I can't win!! I told him I'd only gain it if he'd promise to cut it all out. He said it's a deal.

First things first. I have my appointment for radiation set for 9:48 every day until sometime in January (when I've gone 30 times I'm done.) Then I have to heal and then we'll talk about reconstruction. I had a friend email me a link to an organization that cleans women cancer patients homes for free during their treatments. I was accepted into their program and tomorrow the lady is coming out to do my walk through and schedule my first cleaning. I'm so excited to have someone come and make my house sparkly clean like I want it to be, but can't do! It's hard to look around and see a floor that needs to be vacuumed and not be able to fix it.

Here's a picture of me with my new friends at Cancer Care Northwest. I wish I could remember their names. I know I'll get to know them a little in the next 6-7 weeks! They are so nice and kind. It was hard to become a regular. I didn't like parking in the spot reserved for radiation or oncology patients. I really would rather not be one of those "special" people! I'd be so happy to give that spot up for someone else! :) I was so grateful though as I looked around at the people in the clinic that I'm still strong and healthy! I have so much to be thankful for!!!




2 comments:

  1. Having a cleaning lady is the BEST! :) Hope the rest of your radiation goes as smoothly as it did this first time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad everything went well! I am glad you are getting someone to clean!

    thanks for posting this.

    BTW, on the days you are super tired, you will be grateful for the spots saved for you. :)

    ReplyDelete