Saturday, September 18, 2010

Life Throws Us Curve Balls!

For those of you that haven't heard...yesterday I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. That is one word that I never even imagined being discussed so much in my home. Well, maybe about other people, but NEVER about me!

Right now I feel very blessed! It seems funny to be so grateful at a time like this, but I am. We are very surrounded by wonderful people that are so willing to help. We are blessed with the fact that we don't have a mortgage and have our down payment for a new house sitting in the bank. We are blessed with the foresight that Scott has that he took out a cancer policy on our family 1 year ago. It will help cover some of the expenses that our health insurance won't. I am grateful that all of my kids are in school all day long so I won't feel guilty leaving them when I need treatments, but most of all...I'm so grateful that we caught it so early and that it is very treatable!

Scott and I will meet with my surgeon next week. He will put together some treatment options. I am guessing that the first will be to send me to an Oncologist. The surgeon said that because of the location of the tumor it isn't very easy to operate, and that because it's so early it won't be necessary anyway. I'm so relieved with this as the biopsy was very painful and not easy for me to keep up my normal pace. :) I know that my pace will have to slow down a little, but hopefully not too much!

I will continue to post here what is going on. This way I don't have to explain the same thing over and over again. With that being said, I'm happy to talk to people. As you all know I'm a great talker so...

The good news is that I'm not afraid! My kids are doing really well. They are so happy to help now that they know what's wrong with Mom. Earlier in the week they were so puzzled as to why I was laying on the couch and kept asking them to do things. That's a different thing for them. Life is going to change a little around here. Julia is excited to have people bring meals. She hopes that they bring dessert! We are all trying to find the silver lining, and right now that's easy. Hopefully we'll be able to do that right in the middle of treatments.

I will post more when I know more. Thank you for your love and prayers. It's a very humbling thing!

9 comments:

  1. Well here it is- the blog I've been waiting for to arrive! Didn't ever think that cancer would bring it about, so maybe that's another silver lining! :) I know right now, it still seems pretty surreal to us, but we're so very glad that there are so many positives to reflect on. You, of course, are in our prayers (even the little boys, who prayed last night for Auntie Becca!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing your news. I had a friend who did not say a word until she was almost done with treatments. I was so mad at her :). I love you and your family and of all the people I know you guys can get through this and keep your family running strong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry to hear your bad news, Rebecca. I am so impressed with your faith and strength. You have such a great attitude; not everybody could be so positive upon hearing they have cancer. You'll beat it! Please let me know how I can help. You and your family will be in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know that you have the faith to get through this. We are thinking of you. Let us know what we can do to send positive thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are am amazing person, so postivie and stong! You can beat this! Our love and prayers are with you! I wish I was closer so I could help!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I'm so sorry to hear you have to go through this! But you are a strong person and you will fight it. We will keep you in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rebecca! I am so so sorry! You are such a rock! You are such an inspiration to all of us that are reading your comments and strength through this "curve ball." Always remember that eventhough we are hundreds of miles a way...I am just a phone call away anytime!!! My phone #'s are all the same! Much love and many prayers will be said for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Rebecca, You will win this battle-you have so much strength and a lot of folks to support you in this fight. We miss you all so very much! Sending you virtual hugs & kisses----Love & Prayers, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  9. You AND your family are so strong!! We will keep you in our prayers and thoughts daily. Please let me know if there is anything we can do to help. You know we love to hang with your kids! I know its going to be hard but keep that positive attitude and beautiful smile on. We love you!
    The Niblett's

    ReplyDelete