Friday, September 24, 2010

Tests, tests, and even more tests

Today Scott and I went to see Dr Moline at Cancer Care Northwest. We were told that she had some time this morning so she was "fitting" us into her schedule. Our appointment was at 9:30. We didn't leave her office until about 12:15. Dr Moline was with us all except the first 15 minutes. She was so thorough! She is ordering more tests so she can be more sure of what she's going into with the surgery. She was so amazing to explain every detail! She was very matter of fact in everything that she said and did. We had a lady in our ward tell us that if someone didn't treat us like gold then we needed to find someone else to see. Well, after today I can say that Dr Moline and everyone we saw at Cancer Care Northwest did treat us like gold.

I expected Dr Moline to be in a huge hurry since she fit us in today. Not at all!! She was so willing to explain and answer every question we had even though I don't think we had any questions after she explained everything so well. I have an MRI scheduled for October 5th, but Dr Moline was going to try to get that moved up. Then she is going to do another dye test, then with those results she is going to schedule surgery. After surgery, and a few more tests we will decide on whether to do chemo or radiation. These will be decided after the results of the tests are complete and after the oncologist sees all of the factors. Dr Moline recommended an oncologist and radiologist that she likes the best.

I left with my head spinning from all of the information, and a binder that Dr Moline gave us to keep track of everything we would be getting over the course of my treatments. I'm grateful that Scott was there with me to help me remember and make sense of it all! Dr Moline said that we absorb about 25% of what we hear so it's good to have 2 people so that we can hopefully get 50% of it. I thought when I was in with her I was getting all of it, but now I'm wondering exactly all she said.

I wish I had more imformation to post. Really we don't know any more than we did earlier in the week. We just need to get some tests done before we can proceed. There are a few things we won't know until after surgery. Right now we are just praying that: 1.There is no Lymph involvement. 2.I do not carry the BRACA gene 3. That I'll be able to do radiation instead of chemo. There are a few more things, but right now those are the biggest.

We'll keep you posted when I find those things out. Thanks for your love and prayers!!

5 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to hear that Dr. Moline was awesome. And I can't even imagine the information overload that you're experiencing! Maybe you should take more people with you so you can catch everything!!! :) Hope you hear back about your MRI soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rebecca,

    I just came back from out of town, then a whirlwind occured. Today, being fast day I don't have extra meetings so it's catch up with VT etc, one being sending you a note. The blog is a great way to be there with you. I am SO sorry to hear about your new delemma and you will be added to our prayers AND fast today. As usual you are taking everything in your stride. You have trained your family well so you can move forward with that certain amount of confidence that they will be there to help you. No doubt your move was meant to be. My prayers will be with you always, as you go through this process.Plus with your family. You already have the courage so I will pray it will continue and all your preventative measures will be successful for a long life ahead.
    I thought it was funny that your prepared for a short spiky cut. Melanie Heninger bought some neat crocheted hats in Nampa with flowers crocheted on the side. She really looked good in them. I could see you doing that if you have to.
    I admire your strength and my love is in support of your efforts to fix this.
    Much love, Angela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news!!!! We love you and have you in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete